There are several ferry services between Malaysia and Indonesia, Penang-Medan,
Melaka-Dumai, Johor-Batam/Bintan and Tawau-Tarakan (East Malaysia). Or
you can travel from Indonesia's Batam or Bintang island to Singapore,
then from Singapore to Malaysia.
Indonesia to WEST MALAYSIA
1) Medan, Sumatra to Penang, Pulau Pinang
By Langkawi Ferry Services (http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/)
- operates once a day from Penang (morning) & one return trip; journey
takes 5-6 hours. RM110 per adult/trip ; tel: Penang +604-2642088
(Hunting), Medan +6261-4521666
2) Dumai, Indonesia to Melaka (Malacca)
Four ferry operators making one or two trips daily (departs in the
morning from both Dumai and Melaka); journey takes
about 1hr 45 minutes; fare about RM120 per adult/trip. Astora
Sdn Bhd - tel +606-282 9888,
+066-281 6107, Tunas Rapat +606-283 2506; Madai Shipping +606-284 0671.
3) Batam and Bintan islands to Johor Bahru, Johor
Hourly ferry takes you to Batam and Bintan (less no.); fare is RM60 to
Batam and Rm75 to (Tanjung Pinang) Bintan. The ZON Johor Bahru, tel:
+607 221 1677.
4) Dumai and Tanjung Balai Asahan, Indonesia to Port Klang, Selangor
- To Dumai: Two ferry services run daily; 3-hour journey (Tel:
+60-3-3167 1058 and +60-3-3166 0122); RM80-100 one-way.
- To Tanjung Balai: 2-3 ferry services daily; RM100 per way
5) Dumai to Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan
One trip daily from Port Dickson to Dumai (Tel: +60-6-6471599); RM80
Indonesia to EAST MALAYSIA
6) Nunukan and Tarakan, Indonesia to Tawau, Sabah
- To or from Nunukan: Two departures daily from Tawau (10am and 3pm) and
Nunukan, (9 am and 2pm); over RM41 one-way and journey takes about 1
- To or from Tarakan: One departure daily (10-11 am) except on Sunday
from Tawau; journey cost about RM80 one-way and it takes 3 hours.
Road links between Indonesia and Malaysia are are only in Borneo or East
In Sarawak, bus companies that goes to Pontianak (West
Kalimantan, Indonesia) a
Major crossings at Tebedu and Lubuk Antu, Sarawak to Pontianak,